The Center for Investigative Reporting filed a federal lawsuit Friday against U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Customs and Border Protection, seeking to compel the agencies to release video footage of immigration raids that the news organization argues should be public record.
The complaint, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, follows failed Freedom of Information Act requests for footage from ICE operations in Los Angeles and Chicago. The Center for Investigative Reporting seeks declaratory relief establishing that the requested videos are public records subject to disclosure under FOIA.
"To date, neither agency has complied with FOIA's statutory deadlines," the Center said in its complaint. "ICE and CBP have therefore violated the FOIA and have contravened the FOIA's purpose, because the withheld information will greatly inform the public about 'what their government is up to.'"
The lawsuit centers on specific operations where the Center knows video footage exists. The organization requested footage from Chicago's "Operation Midway Blitz," conducted between Sept. 30 and Oct. 2, 2025. The Center confirmed ICE agents filmed a raid at a South Side Chicago apartment building because portions of that footage appeared in a promotional social media video published by the Department of Homeland Security, the parent agency of both ICE and CBP.
That promotional video included dramatic effects added by officials, including helicopter sounds and background music, according to the complaint. The Center argues this use of the footage for public relations purposes demonstrates the material should be available for public scrutiny.
"When ICE uses footage for public relations, it is especially important the agency disclose it for public accountability," said Victoria Baranetsky, general counsel for the Center for Investigative Reporting.
The news organization also requested footage from three ICE operations in Los Angeles: a June 12, 2025 raid near Huntington Park; a July 7, 2025 action near MacArthur Park; and an Aug. 14, 2024 operation near the Japanese American History Museum.
According to the complaint, much of the footage captured during ICE operations comes from body-worn cameras worn by agents. However, the Center notes that ICE also employs contracted videographers who "regularly accompany agents during ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations."
The Center argues that the requested videos are "nearly identical in nature to records that the agency has previously released to the public," suggesting ICE has established precedent for disclosing such materials.
Baranetsky emphasized the importance of public access to such records for government accountability. "Public records are essential to independently verify official accounts of incidents like those recently seen in Minneapolis," she said in a statement.
FOIA requires federal agencies to respond to information requests within specific timeframes and provides mechanisms for public access to government records. The law includes exemptions for certain categories of information, but agencies must justify withholding records that fall under those exemptions.
The Center's complaint alleges that ICE and CBP violated FOIA by failing to meet statutory deadlines for responding to the requests. The lawsuit seeks to force compliance with the disclosure requirements and obtain the requested footage.
This legal action reflects broader tensions over transparency in immigration enforcement operations. News organizations and civil rights groups have increasingly sought access to records documenting ICE activities, arguing that public oversight is essential for accountability in immigration enforcement.
The case also highlights questions about when government agencies can use footage for promotional purposes while simultaneously withholding the same material from public disclosure requests. The Center's argument suggests that once agencies use such footage for public relations, they cannot reasonably claim it should remain confidential.
ICE and CBP conduct numerous enforcement operations annually, often generating substantial documentation including video footage. The agencies maintain that some operational details must remain confidential for security and tactical reasons, but transparency advocates argue that much of this information should be publicly available.
The outcome of this lawsuit could establish important precedent for public access to law enforcement footage, particularly in immigration enforcement contexts. Federal courts have generally favored broad interpretation of FOIA's disclosure requirements, though agencies retain significant discretion in claiming exemptions.
The Center for Investigative Reporting, a nonprofit news organization, regularly pursues government accountability stories requiring access to federal records. The organization's legal challenge represents part of ongoing efforts by news organizations to maintain public access to information about government operations.
Neither ICE nor CBP immediately responded to requests for comment about the lawsuit. The agencies will have the opportunity to present their legal arguments for withholding the requested footage in their response to the complaint.
The case will proceed in federal court, where a judge will ultimately determine whether the agencies must release the requested footage under FOIA's disclosure requirements.